Saturday, March 7, 2009

Days 1-2

Hello!! So it is Saturday March 7th 2009, and it is now my official 3rd day here. I arrived Thursday evening, at 5:30pm, after a whole day of travelling. Which was a loooong trip!
First, my flight was delayed 45min in Toronto because as they were loading the baggage underneath, they found blood, apparently animal blood, and they needed to find the source (the bag) and remove it from the plane, otherwise we would've been quarantined in London, which was my connecting flight. I only had 1.5hrs in between flights in London, so I was scared that I would miss my connecting flight. So after frantically texting and emailling Duncan to let him know I may miss my flight to Qatar, and then I had to sit tight and wait until I got to London.
Once I got to London, luckily, the plane ended up on time. But I still had to run to catch my connecting flight because apparently the flight closed once I got to the counter. Oh man....so when I actually made it to the gate and got on the plane, we waited for maybe 30 min b4 taking off. So I rushed for nothing. argh.
And the flight to Qatar was only 5% full, and the lady at the counter put me beside another person. wheras there were many other rows that were empty. Oh well, the guy moved, so I had the two seats to myself.
Finally...I got to Qatar!! and Duncan and Mere came to pick me up. and we went straight to the apartment, which is really nice. It's beside the Four Seasons, it's on the 8th floor, and has a beautiful view of the water.
(the view from my room)
And so we had some dinner, we ordered in from a Arab restaurant. Which was good....rice and chicken. NO Pork :(
Later on that night we went out to a new lounge set up at the Four Seasons called "Hip India Lounge". Of course, once I got into the apartment tho, we broke out the drinks, I had 2 Red Bull Vodkas before we went out. and then another when we got to the lounge. It was cool, interesting, and fun, cuz it was outside and had couches and an elephant (statue).

(me, duncan, and mere)


(me, sandra, duncan, mere, and jenny)
A couple of girls from Duncan's work came by too, Sandra and Jenny, they're from Germany, they're in PR, are always full of energy, and fun. Well Duncan was having a ball, surrounded by all of these girls....lol
We stayed at the lounge for a couple of drinks and then we turned in, I was exhausted, so I was ready for bed....we went back to the apartment and we had a couple of beers and watched some tv. Finally I went to bed at 3am.
...and then I woke up at 6am. Just like that! This has been happening to me every single night! The sun was sooo bright, it was shining right into my room, and it felt like it was noon, based on the brightness of the sun. But when I checked my phone, I saw that it was only 6am. Oh my....I had to draw the curtains and passed out again, only to wake up at 8am. Then I woke up again at 10am, at that point, I just told myself "Forget it", and got out of bed.
So it was Friday. Here, the weekend is Friday and Saturday. So party nights are generally Thursday and Friday, maybe Saturday too. The work-week starts on a Sunday. So Sunday is the western Monday. Hope that made sense :-)

So again, it was Friday...we had plans to go the beach at the InterContinental with Sandra and Jenny. Duncan coaches a youth baseball game Fridays, and I was interested in going Friday to check it out...but after breakfast I was so exhausted I went back to bed and took a nap. So I missed Duncan's game (they won tho!). So I took a nap till around 2pm, when I got up because Sandra was coming by to pick up me and Mere.
When we got there it was full of people! It was a Corona event. We had to buy drink tickets to purchase drinks (and food). There was also a human foosball tournament, which we may or may not join next week...we'll see.


(the beach)

(the human foosball court)

And so the exchange rate is 3 to 1 Canadian to Qatar Riyals. So they were charging us 35 Riyals for one Corona, which is $7! Nuts huh? Well we bought em anyway....actually Mere was nice enough to get them for me, I didn't have Riyals yet.

Then Duncan came by cuz his game was over, and we were sitting next to a Sumo Wrestling match, where you get into a costume and wrestle with another. So Duncan and his friend, Samer (Sam) went at it. It was pretty funny, Duncan kept getting his ass kicked, Sam would pick up his costume and flip him over. He did that twice. Apparently, the costume was 9 pounds too. But it was fun. and the winner won ping pong paddles.

We were supposed to go out for dinner that night with Duncan's parents, but when we got back to the apartment, I was so exhausted, I had to take a nap. I'v been napping a lot here....and so I passed out, and then got up again around 10pm, and we were supposed to go out and meet up with Sandra, but mere was tired, so it didn't happen. We just watched the Wire, and Little Britain until around 1am and then we all passed out!!
And that concludes Day 2.....I put up pics on my facebook profile, cuz it just takes toooo long to load onto this blog!



No comments:

Post a Comment